Welcome to the March 2021 Technique Blog Hop! See what I have to share. Then check out all the other blogs in the hop to see additional creative ideas that we each came up with using the “masked grid” technique (also known as the “retiform” technique). To follow the hop and see other creative project ideas, simply scroll down and click on the Next Button.
I’m excited that I was invited to be a part of this group. This is my first hop with them, and I’m looking forward to the challenge of creating cards and projects that feature fun and creative techniques.
I remember doing this month’s featured technique years ago for one of my classes. Here is my card that I made with this masked grid/retiform technique.
The layout was inspired by this sketch challenge shared by Mary Fish at StampinPretty.com. (Thanks Mary!)
Here are the details if you wish to recreate this card.
Products I used… See below for a complete list of extra products I used linked to where you can find them in my online store.
- Crumb Cake Cardstock
- 4-1/4″ x 11″ scored parallel to the short end at 5-1/2″
- Basic White Cardstock
- Two pieces that are 3-5/8″ x 4-5/8″
- 3″ x 4-1/4″
- 2-1/4″ Circle
- Early Espresso Cardstock
- 3-1/2″ x 4-1/2″
- Fine Art Ribbon
- Prepare all the pieces listed in the measurements.
- Use either long pieces of scrap paper (and sticky notes to secure the paper) OR long sticky notes and section off & isolate one outer section of the 3″ x 4-1/4″ Basic White cardstock. Then use a Blending Brush (or sponge) to add color to that section. Be careful to keep the paper/sticky notes in place so ink doesn’t get underneath. Then add a stamped image randomly to fill in that section, too.
- Now remove the paper/sticky notes, cover the section you just completed so it’s protected, isolate another area, and repeat the inking steps. The idea is to isolate small sections adding ink in each of those sections one at a time.
- Be sure to stamp firmly so you don’t accidentally get an incomplete image close the masked edges. Also use a clean edge of your scrap paper/sticky notes each time. (I didn’t with my first piece of cardstock, and the ink that didn’t dry completely got pulled into the blending.) Here are the scrap paper pieces that remained after I completed each section. And below that is the finished stamped layer ready to cut. (Ignore the ribbon in that photo. I ended up changing my mind later.)
- After adding ink and images to all the sections, cut your 3″ x 4-1/4″ piece into three 1″ x 4-1/4″ strips. Then add these strips to the Early Espresso layer so they are equally spaced and in order.
- Wrap around and tie on the Fine Art Ribbon. Trim the ends.
- Add this layer to one of the larger Basic White layers. Then add to the front of the card.
- Stamp the inside layer and add to the inside of the card.
- Stamp the sentiment on the circle and add to the front of the card with Dimensionals.
- Embellish the inside and outside with Gold Glitter Enamel Dots.
I hope you enjoyed what I shared. Now be sure to click on this “next button” so you can continue on to the next blog, get even more inspiration, and see other creative project ideas featuring this technique.
Click here to shop my online store.
Click here to access & view the current catalogs.
Click here to subscribe to those fun Paper Pumpkin kits of creativity!
Click here to learn about my Loyalty Rewards program. You can earn free stamps just for shopping with me!
Click here for more information about joining my Online Paper Crafters’ Club. Earn even more goodies by joining a club!
Click here to learn more about joining my Stampers With ART community. Get the MOST rewards including a discount on future products!
Follow me on social media! I share regularly on Pinterest, YouTube, Instagram, my Facebook Page, and my Facebook Group!
Please subscribe to my blog, too! Click here and enter your email in the blue box (above the butterfly).
HEY CHICK & HEY BIRTHDAY CHICK
Available February 2 – June 30, 2021 – The popular Hey Chick has returned to pair up with the Hey Birthday Chick stamp set in the current mini catalog!! And each with coordinating dies. Click here for a downloadable flyer. Click here to shop online.
PPX CREW EXCLUSIVE TUTORIALS
If your Paper Pumpkin subscription is through me, you’ll now be able to enjoy exclusive ideas shared in video tutorials from the creative Stampin’ Up! demonstrators on the PPX Crew!
A PEEK AT APRIL’S PAPER PUMPKIN KIT
What makes the April Paper Pumpkin kit So Cool? This vivid, summer-inspired kit includes two full sticker sheets and all supplies needed to make 12 fun-shaped cards —6 popsicles and 6 blank semicircles to color—with matching envelopes. But, even more cool: it’s the first Paper Pumpkin kit designed with kids in mind! But So Cool by Paper Pumpkin is the fresh, fun taste of summer EVERYONE of all ages will want to savor. Kit includes card bases, 2 full sticker sheets, decorative die-cut pieces, embellishments, and more. Coordinating colors: Blackberry Bliss, Bermuda Bay, Bumblebee, Cinnamon Cider, Old Olive, Terracotta Tile. Coordinates with the Ice Cream Corner Suite from our January–June 2021 Mini Catalog. Envelope size: 4-1/2″ x 5-3/4″
If you are not a Paper Pumpkin subscriber, I invite you to give it a try. CLICK HERE to learn more. CLICK HERE to sign up by April 10th for this next kit.
ALL STAR TUTORIALS
I’m a designer with the All Stars, a group of globally recognized Stampin’ Up! demonstrators. And we are excited to share exclusively with our customers, paper crafting friends & team members our bundle of twelve March 2021 Hydrangea Hill Suite Tutorials which are now available! CLICK HERE for more information. Click here to get to my Tutorials for Sale page to see the others that have been offered. The next one featuring the Flowering Cactus Product Medley will be available April 1st! AND these tutorial bundles (Jan-June) include links to instructional videos!